Forget Yourself and Go to Work

One of the greatest decisions i ever made was to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have now been serving as a full time missionary in the England London South Mission for 18 months. It has and continues to be the most rewarding experience of my life. I still remember entering the missionary training center in Preston, England. It seems like only yesterday that i was learning and preparing to enter the mission field. I will be forever grateful for the experiences i had during my time in Preston. Words cannot express how much it changed me. I will always look to my time in Preston with reverence. It was there that i gained a reassurance of Gods love and felt the redeeming and enabling power of the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ. It was only within a few days of my time in Preston that i learnt of the prophet Gordon B. Hinckley and his experience as a young missionary when first entering the mission field in England. He suffered much opposition and became very discouraged. He felt like he wasn't getting anywhere and that he should just go home. He wrote a letter to his family informing them on how he felt. In respond to the letter his father said, "Forget yourself and go to work." It was those six simple words that changed the life of Gordon B. Hinckley and it also changed mine. I can relate a lot to the experience of Gordon B Hinckley. When first arriving in Preston i felt so inadequate. I doubted myself and my ability to share the Gospel. I was encompassed about with doubts and fears. It wasn't until i learnt of the experience of Gordon B Hinckley that i developed the resolve to put everything behind me and move forward with faith. 

During one of my lessons at the missionary training center we learnt about the importance of obedience and giving ourselves to the Lord. I remember returning to bed that evening and having a strong impression that i needed to pray and commit myself to the Lord. It was that evening that I knelt down and poured out my heart to the Lord. I committed myself to serve with all my heart, might, mind and strength. I then had the most overwhelming feeling. The Spirit completely overcame me. I could feel the love of God and the witness of the Holy Ghost. It was so strong. I knew with absolute certainty that i was a child of God. I was reminded of the scripture in Ether 12:27 where the Lord said, "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Through Christ all things are possible. Never doubt yourself. No matter how weak you think you are or how many chances you think you've missed i testify to you that God loves you and that with the Saviors help you can overcome all things. I felt weak when i arrived in Preston but I soon learnt that if I trust in the Lord and embrace His love, i can be everything He wants me to be. I am grateful for Gordon B. Hinckley. For his life and example. I know that he was indeed a prophet of God. How grateful i am for living day prophets who leave behind a legacy that strengthens our faith and encourages us to never give up. I know the Gospel is true. I cannot deny it. For those of you who are seeking for truth I invite you to accept the Savior's invitation, "Come and see." (John 1:38-39). This Gospel changes peoples lives. It changed mine and i promise you it can change yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment